Sunday, June 14, 2009

Fun with Craig


I went on Craigslist this morning (honestly, I did it for a reason, but I can't remember why!). While there I found a chair. I bought it! I really like Craigslist! The chair is in good shape, but not as nice as the one I bought several years ago for $5 at the Last Chance Mercantile. That one had orange upholstery that I took off and replaced on the seat with a nice green and beige. Unfortunately, I couldn't hold the upholstery fabric and operate the staple gun at the same time so I didn't do the back while I was hot on the project. As a result, the chair has been sitting backless for years! The seat fabric is faded and the fabric that I have (all cut and everything) for the back is noticeably darker. Notice that this new chair has cushions rather than attached upholstery! Once I refinish the teak, I can call it done or I can sew new cushions. I don't need the stinkin' staple gun!

On a less positive note, I was bidding on an Uzbek zardevor (embroidered strip, like a runner) on Ebay and I was outbid at the last minute. :-( I have another one that I am watching and I will pay more attention to the auction for this one. I am planning to use it for a valance for the dining room drapes. I have one that is the size and shape of a small table cloth or shawl that I love. This one is very similar and I really like the look of it in the dining room. The question now is how much am I willing to bid?? The more I look at those pink pom poms, the more I like them!

From what Dad said about his mother's origins, she may have had ancestors in one of the 'stans. Maybe that is why I am so captivated by the textiles from Uzbekistan.

3 comments:

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

Kelly, The Chair reminds me of a chair your mom had in early marriage. Maybe aside from the cusions, it's hidden back in your memory. You remind me of Daryl with Craig's List. He loves it, especially the free list. We have a new ?? swimming pool filter, and Jenny has file drawers (more then she needs) thanks to Craig's List.

Kelly said...

Colleen still has that chair! In fact, I was thinking of it when I saw this one! I have another of these Danish Modern chairs and a coffee table I got from the Last Chance that is teak and slate. I'm thinking the two chairs and the table will go well together in the sunroom/mezzanine.

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

I have to tell you that when I first saw your title, I thought Craig had made the work transfer to Salinas and neglected to tell me.