How many times in this blog have I said, "I will talk more about this later?" Good intentions... I always laugh that I don't have a road to hell, I have a six lane superhighway! Lucky for me the library where the talk was held has a blog and they posted about the talk! Click here to see the information. Notice that the speaker had purple and orange streaks in her hair! Hmmm.... My purple is almost completely gone with my last very short haircut. Maybe my next hair appointment...
One thing that isn't in the library blog is the recipe for the almost native turf. 1 part creeping red fescue, 1 part yarrow, 1 part dutch white clover. Here is an article about a 100% yarrow lawn that has a picture. I have a yellow yarrow in my yard and I never would have imagined yarrow as a turf replacement. I think of yarrow as a big tall plant. But as a mowed "lawn" the white common yarrow stays low and the leaves are feathery. We will be planting this on the construction damaged parts of the back lawn and see how it does. It will take extra water to get started (as any new plants do), but when established it should take much less water than the current lawn. If I recall, the homeowner on the garden tour with this blend said she only watered the lawn a few times during the summer and mowed about once a month. This was in hot San Jose!
3 comments:
Hey, I like the picture of the lawn. I can't wait to see it in front of the house!!!
Kelly, I can believe that Yarrow doesn't need much water.We planted two a few years back in the front garden. The one that got the most water from the sprinkler (only 5 min. a day twice a week) died the first year.
I think I will really like the smell of the yarrow in the lawn, too. I was working in the yard yesterday near the full size yellow yarrow and when I stepped on it I could smell it. I have read that it is medicinal, too!
Post a Comment