"Britney Spears has always been heard on classic rock stations."
Yikes!!
The above comes from the Beloit Mindset List. Starting quite awhile ago Beloit College started giving its faculty a list of these items so they would have a better idea of the "mindset" of the freshmen. This list became famous and now it has its own website and is shared all over.
I can attest that the older you get, the more you ask "What were they thinking????" about the actions of students! It is also true that the references you use become less and less likely to work Case in Point: I was talking about an assembly line and referenced the classic "I Love Lucy" episode of the chocolates on the assembly line. For most people I know I wouldn't have had to say more than "assembly line" and "Lucy." Maybe I would need to say "Ethel" for knitters who have knit many Lucy Bags and would be thinking along those lines. From my students...blank looks. Please! I know there are reruns! Heck, there's Youtube! I am SURE they must have seen this. Totally blank looks!! What is the world coming to. Ooops! I digress. Anyway, you can see why the list is an eye opener!
For an interesting addition to the Britney Spears reference above, take a look at the Link of the Week. Don't pass up listening to part of the opera. It is so weird you have to hear it!
1 comment:
Maybe your class' blank expression is because they don't watch TV. I just saw the Lucy & Ethel candy fiasco on TV. I am optimistic they are doing more reading! As for Beloit College, I have been there (actually stayed in a motel across the street) and Beloit is so different from California I wonder if our list would be a different mindset. The list was funny and quite entertaining.
Post a Comment