Sunday, August 9, 2009

More Yard Work

For the first three summers that we've lived here the focus has been on ivy eradication. Last summer the focus was on ivy eradication, the planting that had to happen in that area, and the pressure to get all the open dirt covered before winter turned it to mud on dog paws. Along the way we also started the planting that would replace the screen we lost with the big cypress and start the native plantings at the edge of the yard.

This summer seems to be about the areas closer to the house and there has been little work on the ivy eradication project. We aren't finished with it and we aren't letting the ivy come back to the areas that have been cleared, but we really haven't done any major eradication this summer. The focus has been more on the areas near the house that became ugly due to construction or have always been ugly but not on the priority list. As posted, we have been working on the stone patio area and we have a fountain for the main patio, and we are working on the lawn experiment next to that patio. It would be nice to get this area cleaned up and looking nice.

So the area that is catching my eye this morning is the grass/weed strip next to the driveway and patio where the orange, lemon and (new last year) avocado are planted. I think I will clear it of the grass/weeds today. Then I can think about a ground cover for the area. Maybe I will collect all the irises that are planted in very odd locations and line them up against the fence there. Mom gave me some sedum that I could plant, too.

Then again, there is knitting calling to me!

3 comments:

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

Now i know why my yard looks the way it does, I need your enthusiasm.

Anonymous said...

Why? Why is it that wherever I want to dig a trench for piping la esposa wants to plant in same location? EE

Kelly said...

Because I want to plant everywhere and you want to dig trenches everywhere!

OOPS! Forgot about the trench. Well, it is now bare dirt out from the garage to the avocado. I don't have any more energy and won't be planting anything today anyway!