Thursday, August 6, 2009

Spiraling Out of Control!

I LOVE the new patio!!!!

As promised, I planted thyme in the spiral spaces today.


It didn't even take half the flat so now I have some groundcover thyme to use elsewhere. I just love this plant! I really love the look of it growing in between pavers. It won't take long before the time has spread out and filled in the spiral. It will probably creep between some of the other stones, too.
Here is the "not-yet-secret garden."
The quince is on the left and by next year it will be back in full, crazy form. It really sprawls and has beautiful red flowers on its spiky, asymmetrical branches. It took quite a hit this year with the construction. I had to cut it way back and it suffered from little water and other indignities.

To the right of the quince is the new wax myrtle. It will get 8-15 feet tall and 4-8 feet wide (depends what source), blocking the view to the garden and making it more of a secret than it looks now. I also sowed some seeds around myrtle for some interest while she is growing. I had purple poppy seeds from Mom and D in my garden bucket, as well as some red Flanders poppies. You remember the VFW paper poppies? These are the poppies they were designed after. They grew in the trenches after WWI. They are a European wildflower, aka weed! I got them free when I ordered the "lawn" seed. Both packages of seeds were drenched from this morning's rain so it was use them or lose them.

What? You put away your garden stuff when you are done? I live in California! It doesn't rain in summer in California. I don't worry about putting things away! My garden tool bucket has been sitting out for weeks, ready any time I am! This morning...tools, seeds, gloves...all of it wet and soggy!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Just noticed that I spelled thyme T I M E in one instance. That made me think that I should have entitled this post "thyme spiraling out of control!" That's how it feels with summer ending in little more than a week!

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

Kelly, I LOVE IT!

Betty said...

Love what you have done right out my bedroom windows. I am so happy the Quince survived, it is one of my favorites. Nice work guys!!!

Mia's Classroom said...

Look what Moose did! It's amazing, and I love the spiral so much. I noticed the 't-i-m-e' but thought it might work on some level and just enjoyed it. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like a "Huuuuuugh toilet bowl". Inside joke from EE