Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What a Pain!

An apt quote from a blog I just started reading:

"Leaders have all the same human failings as everybody else, but less license to indulge them. That's the price of leadership. There's a real and generally unacknowledged unfairness to that, but there it is."

There has been drama at work over the last two weeks and, having stepped into the drama to educate colleagues (not the drama queens, but those who wanted to know some facts), I found myself at the wrong end of said drama. Not unique, since I am one of a (growing) handful of faculty who speak up when its needed. But it really sucks to have to resist being immature and mean! Immature and mean can be so much more satisfying. Especially when the meanness is funny and could potentially be emailed to the entire campus!

"Less license to indulge" that feeling is the "price of leadership." I like that. I also like that he acknowledges the unfairness of it!

No comments: