Today was the orientation for the Monterey Bay Master Gardeners program. We had our orientation meeting where we were told the requirements (much of this was reiteration of what I had read online), had an interview, got fingerprinted, paid our fee, and picked up our books.
What fun I am going to have! I have two chapters of reading for homework before the first class on Jan 30, and I think I might do it today! I love school! Part of our requirements will be to work at the Hotline, propagate five plants for the plant sale at the garden tour, and work in the demonstration garden near the classroom. The course work is three Saturdays a month until the end of May. All day, no missing class, coming late or leaving early. Also required is 30 hours of volunteer work. Graduation is June 5th. I think this may be the most fun class I have ever taken!
I think I may meet some kindred spirits, too. Not only do all the people there share my interest in learning about gardening, there were 5 other hybrids in the parking lot this morning, and the woman who interviewed me had on a beautiful handknit cardigan. I think in the "Other people who liked this also enjoyed..." of real life*, gardening, knitting and striving to have a small footprint on the planet are linked. I also heard a couple of people talk about working at a school while they were getting fingerprinted, so maybe teaching goes on that list, too. I will report back after I have gotten to know my class colleagues.
*For my readers who don't buy books and music online, this is something that you get when you order--a list of recommendations based on what other people who bought the same thing also purchased. A very cool, but financially dangerous feature for the buyer!
I also had an important lesson reinforced today. I have been wanting to do the MG class for a long time but was waiting until my life slowed down and I was less busy. Last fall I finally decided to stop waiting and just apply. Today I found out that there won't be a program again until 2012. They are now doing it every other year rather than annually. Yikes! If I had decided to wait until next year I would have been out of luck! NOTE TO SELF: If you really want to do something, don't wait until you have time, find the time. Some opportunities don't come around every day (or every year!).
P.S. Correction needed for my previous post: I had forgotten that Zack was Tap's grandfather, not her father! Even more amazing that he recently sired that litter!
4 comments:
That sounds fun! I never knew what was involved with becoming a master gardener. All of you gardeners who blog are inspiring me....although we'll see if that inspiration actually turns into anything tangible when it warms up in these parts!
Good luck with class!
Sue
Thanks Sue,
I have created a topic for master gardener posts because I think I might be posting a lot about my class. As you can see I am extremely excited for this new challenge!
YEP, when you make your "bucket list" you need to go for it!!!! Love your enthusiasm. So who was Tap's father (Christopher Robin??).
Yes, Robin was Tap's father. Robert
Post a Comment