Some people think that scientists must be boring people. I say, NO WAY!
It would take an extremely interesting person (and someone full of childlike enthusiasm) to think this way:
I want to study caterpillars. The way they walk is so interesting and unique compared to other creatures! Think about it. What other bugs "walk this way?" I wonder how they do it? I wonder what is the best way to study this. I know! I'll make a tiny caterpillar treadmill!
That was not a real quote, but I am not joking about the treadmill! Check out this NPR story!
Here is real quote from the scientist in the story. " 'We put our caterpillar on top of that treadmill in this big, shiny star trek room,' Simon says. Then came the really tricky part. 'You'd be very surprised how difficult it is to make a caterpillar crawl when it doesn't want to.' "
I love science! I know if we called it "weird, fun stuff" we would be churning out the science majors like nobody's business. Instead, the number of US students studying to be scientists is so low.
No comments:
Post a Comment