Over the years I have found growing veggies to be unsuccessful and unsatisfying. So for the most part I didn't grow them. It was a surprise for me to discover in the Master Gardener class that there were MG students who ONLY grew vegetables the way that I ONLY grew ornamental plants. My first reaction to them was that you can't consider yourself a Master Gardener if you only grow vegetable gardens. Then I realized that my feeling should work both ways. I should at least try growing a successful vegetable garden if I want to consider myself a Master Gardener.
It helped that I discovered the fall/winter garden idea. It allowed me to plant a large patch of fava beans last January, forget all the other summer veggies, and then start the vegetable garden at about Labor Day. It also helped that I got into the propagating mode so I could start veggie seeds at the end of August and have the plants I wanted (rather than what was in the nursery) when I started the vegetable garden.
And look what I got at Christmas time!
Ok, maybe there is something to like about this vegetable gardening!
6 comments:
Yes, the cauliflower was a true golden color. It was very delicious. Robert
haha! yes, something to like, it's called FOOD! :P
I agree the cauliflower was delicious!
Mia,
I don't know. The harvesting part of the vegetable garden has not ever been an incentive before. Although harvesting cauliflower and cabbage is pretty easy since you only need one at a time! Check back once I have beans and peas and potatoes that are ready to harvest!
Kel ~ Listen, I've been buried under a bushel of tomatoes three or four different times during the summer, and all I can say is that MANY times the only thing that has motivated me to deal WITH ALL THIS was the literal shame of knowing how many people were going without fresh fruits and vegetables in the world. It is a very interesting balance, trying to strike the proper tone with the realities of 'farming' when, hello, NOT A FARMER.
The best solution I've found is 'share cropping'! I leave the gate to the backyard open and invite neighbors to 'help themselves'. We all end up with fresh salads each evening, and it keeps it from getting out of hand and too much for me to handle. :)
Thanks - I need this kind of encouragement... I'm thinking my greenhouse this summer can be used for salad veggies. But I'd need raised beds/gopher wire to grow veggies in the garden. I know what you mean about garden = veg garden in the US, but not in the UK - to wit: Gardeners' Question Time on the BBC! - and calling a garden a 'yard' took a bit of getting used to.
Post a Comment