Saturday, March 5, 2011

Old House Kitchen Fun

My Seattle friend has a bungalow with an small galley kitchen. This week, she had some kitchen fun in the form of a new range hood for her stove, stainless steel backing behind the stove, and a new linoleum floor. (Real, old-fashioned lineoleum--I'm not just using that term as a generic for flooring material.) Take a look at the pictures. And while you're at it, notice the FABULOUS wall paper! My Seattle friend has great taste! Her brother helps with all his design knowledge, but she has a great eye for color and beauty. The wallpaper has been there almost since she moved in.

Here is the range hood that started the project. Notice the wallpaper! I love it!
While she was at it, she got stainless steel backing to protect the wall around the stove.
The refrigerator has been moved to the dining room so the vinyl floor can be replaced. She has wanted to replace the floor since she moved in. That was before her son was born and he is now thirteen! It's amazing how long you can put up with something ugly once you move into a house and start living there.

Here is the floor all prepped for the installation of the linoleum. Can't wait to see it! I want some of my own! The kitchen leads into a cute breakfast room that looks out over the backyard.
The installation of the floor in the breakfast room...
Doesn't it look great? That green looks a lot like the green that is under the beige-painted kitchen floor here at our house. Its a great color for an old house kitchen.
Now I am thinking about a new floor, too! I wonder if they have eggplant color linoleum?!?

3 comments:

Marsha said...

After our texting this morning I thought I'd check out your blog and there is my kitchen! I'll send better pics when its all done and everything is back in place. Maybe even show something cooking. :-) You will have so much fun looking at colors of linoleum. If I didn't have the peach/turquoise tile I would have gone crazy with lime green or orange or red.

I have another friend who hates my wallpaper, but I don't care because I still love it after 19 years. It makes me happy, and a happy cook is a good cook.

Carol said...

Isn't redecorating fun! ENJOY! your new kitchen and many hours of happy cooking!Kelly I am Quince envious!

Mia Goddess said...

Oh my good god. That is the EXACT linoleum (the old one!) that was in MY house when we moved in! It was also in my friend's house in Bakersfield when she moved in....on now, here it is in Seattle. I'm starting to wonder if wasn't pre-installed in every house in America from 1954 to 1963. :)