According to California native plant gardener and writer Judith Larner, California has a fifth season from August through October. The native garden sleeps. Water has run out and the plants go dormant. Only a few natives are flowering at that time. The native plant world looks grey and brown and dusty. I would have to agree! I think it is pretty in its own way, though. I also think it is perfect timing since those are the busy months with school starting up.
This year, the fifth season may have started a little early, but it is ending a little early, too. Rain the first week of October!!! Great for my natives. Spelling the end of my squash and cucumbers. There is no way they can survive the ensuing triumph of both downy mildew and powdery mildew. It is now a mildew free-for-all in the veggie garden!
Here are some pictures I took at the end of September.
Enjoy!
1 comment:
I agree nd removed all the beans and lettuce that went to seed. Thing spring and planted sweet peas!
Post a Comment